It's been quite a while since I wrote a post. That is not to say I have been doing nothing! My internship has been awesome. Every day I walk away feeling good about what I do. Some days I am so busy I forget to eat lunch. I've had opportunities to try new things and learn about the realities of the school counseling profession.More recently I have started to experience the tougher aspects of the job. Cases with students dealing with alcohol abuse in their families or the affects of poverty. It can be tough to leave those worries at school, it is good to learn how now but I don't think it will ever be something I really can let go of. Most of our professors and guests that have come to talk to our classes over the years, say it takes time to learn how to deal.
Right now I am lucky that I have another job to jump into right after school is done, when that is over I hope a good workout will help. Regardless, I have surprised myself at how I have handled those situations. I wish I had more time to attend to them. In CPS high school applications are absurd and the last week I have dealt with them for days at a time instead of seeing students. I can't wait for them to be all turned in!
I promise to do a better job at writing blogs, I think it is hard to write about things when I don't update often. I am working on a 5th grade boys anger management group and made a goal setting bulletin board that I am pretty proud of. When school starts back in January I will put up my plans for each and share what works and doesn't work. I can't believe I'm already halfway through!
Thats a really good idea for in the spring. I think I might do that for my blog. Putting up a plan will help keep on goal with internship but I think it would be helpful for the rest of us interns to see each others plans and what works and what doesnt.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing!!
www.newtoschoolcounseling.blogspot.com